This past July, I sent you some information on my Soma B-side 26" build. Here is my new Soma ES build. It too is a bit different.
I have not owned or ridden a traditional road bike for over 20 years. I was looking to replicate the type of bike I road some thirty years ago, but at the same time, I wanted to allow for a few contemporary updates. Since I already owned two Soma mountain bikes (Groove and B-Side), looking at a Soma Smoothie seemed to be a logical place to start. I eventually settled on the Soma ES model as it was a better fit for me, and would accommodate the vintage parts I planned to use, as well as providing the possibility of 32c tires. I love a frame that allows for options.
I tried to keep with silver components for the most part. In the end component choices were ultimately dictated by what I already had, and what I knew I personally needed. As I get older, comfort tends to be an ever increasing consideration. The final result seems to have nailed what I was after: speed and a plush ride. ES is short for Extra Smooth, I would have to say that is an understatement. This bike just seems to float over the pavement. Besides the Prestige steel frame, I have to credit the 23mm H+Son box section rims and 28c Panaracer tires. I knew from past experience, a good box section rim with a high thread count tire can yield a very plush ride.
A special thanks to Adrenaline Bikes of Orange, CA for all of their input, and for the great deal on the frame and fork. This is the second Soma frame I purchased from them, the other being the B-side.
· 46cm Soma ES frame with IRD Mosaic 57 Carbon Prestige fork
· VO Grand Cru headset with carbon and alloy spacers
· 170mm XTR M900 Crank with 46, 36, 24 Race Face chainrings with Shimano UN73 BB
· Shimano M900 front derailleur, Shimano XT rear derailleur with XTR pulleys
· Shimano Ultegra 9spd cassette – 12x27
· Shimano Dura Ace Shifters with Paul Thumbies and custom fabricated cable routing
· Tektro 737 brakes with Koolstop salmon pads and Tektro brake levers
· White Industries hubs – 32 hole / 14g butted DT spokes / H+Son TB-14 rims
· Panaracer Gravel King 700x28c tires
· Uno carbon seat post with Blackburn saddle
· Planet X stem with FSA Wing Pro handlebar, double wrapped