Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A New Soma Sport Bottle


With an estimated 8 billion spring water bottles worldwide NOT making it to the recycling centers in 2006 alone, there is no better time to reduce your plastic trash heap-making habit and hydrate responsibly.

Need more brilliant reasons to do so?
1 )Well we are finally releasing an improved polypropylene bottle with a softer spout, so it is easier to pull open with your teeth.
2 ) Plus it IS "Green Week" on NBC!

I go to the gym regularly to keep my back in shape and I get really riled when I see most people carrying Aquafina and Crystal Geyser bottles instead of a reuseable bottle. If they work out 3x a week, that adds up 156 bottles a year per gym rat. This is in the SF Bay Area where drinking straight from the tap will not turn your stomach. If you live in Texas or someplace where filtering your tap water is a must, I feel for you. But I still think using a reusable bottle is a one of the easier "green" habits all of us can adopt. I use reusable bottles at the gym and at work and of course for cycling.

The Soma bottle is still polypropylene (recycling symbol #5). It will not add a plastic taste like traditional LDPE bicycle water bottles, but it is squeezable like an LDPE (recycling symbol #4)bottle. It also has not been shown to leach bisephenol-A like the popular Lexan / polycarbonate (recycling symbol #7) camping bottles.

The new 22 oz. cycling bottle is available in "smoke" and "blue" in a few days. Unlike Pepsi and other water bottlers, we are happy if you only buy 2 of our bottles per year.

7 comments:

akahn said...

Remember, though, that some people re-use their disposable water bottles. I've been using the same Vermont Natural bottle for a few months now. But I have been meaning to buy one of these Soma bottles, I've heard good things!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you can re-use your spring water bottle, but you're getting a time release drip of leached chemicals by doing so . I'm really stoked that the new soma bottles are going to have a softer top, the old ones were a pain in the ass (teeth) to drink from on-the-fly. These things really work, all you taste is the water!

Daner said...

I know that the idea is to sell more bottles, but some of us would also be interested in replacing just the caps on the SOMA bottles that we already have. Will the caps be offered separately?

Stan said...

Daner: Your request is noted. We are bringing some in to replace the caps of older bottles still in our stock, but perhaps selling caps to people already with our bottles would be a better idea.

Anonymous said...

Your store site shows you are out of the new bottles. When will they be available again? I'd love to get some before a trip.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to get some of these water bottles. I've searched your web site but I can't find the product page. How can I order some? Please let me know at sundrysystems@gmail.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've actually had mostly bad experiences with the caps -- because of the locking-type mechanism inside the spout and the spout's soft material, I've torn four spouts out of bottles -- leaving me with four great but useless bottles. I've also attempted to contact Soma through your website on at least two occasions and gotten no response. Any suggestions?