Thursday, May 2, 2013

Low Trail Forks

As you may or may not have heard, Soma is working on a 650b randonneuring frame called the Grand Randonneur. We've very close to announcing the final specs for that project, so to those of you waiting for more details, thanks for your patience. We want to make sure we nail down all the little details.

In the meantime, I thought I'd let you in on another project we've got cooking.


We've gotten numerous requests, to make a low trail conversion fork that would fit some of our other models (trust me on the emails, I've read a lot of them). So after lot's of discussion and many drawings we have the first samples of the upcoming Champs Elysees fork. There will be 2 versions, one designed around 700c w/ canti brakes and one designed around 700c w/ 57mm calipers (it'll be good for 650b conversion too). I won't get into the whole trail debate here; if you search on Google Groups I'm sure you'll find more opinions than you could ever digest. But for those who care, they'll be 65mm offset, they'll have 2 sets of dropout eyelets, mid blade eyelets and hourglass eyelets for Nitto Mini racks. 350mm steer tubes like the rest of our steel forks, and chrome plated so they'll look sweet with any color frame.


I switched this bike over from the 45mm Classic Curve fork and I've had a few days to get used to it now. At first it felt pretty squirrely without a front load, but after taking it out for a longer ride I'm feeling more confident. After loading it up with a front rack and a bar bag and filling it with the usual daily commute cargo it feel completely natural (thanks to Zugster for making these awesome minimal Rando bags for us!). It definitely feels more 'neutral' compared to the higher trail configuration, especially at slower speeds. Cornering is a breeze, even no handed. If you're wondering what rack that is on the front, it's one of the new stainless rando racks which will also bear the Champs Elysees name. I've had the rear on my bike for a while and just swapped the Nitto M-12 out for the front version. These racks will feature the same adjustable axle mounting tabs as the Soma Porteur racks for bikes that lack the correct braze ons.

So that's all for now. Hang tight and we'll have more details on the GR frame very soon. I'll leave you with this. Enjoy!


(This is the V.2 prototype, so there are still a few small changes we're making on the production version)

29 comments:

Wrinkled Linen said...

Please try to accomplish a smooth radius bend, rather than an abrupt dogleg. It'll sell better, including to me.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I agree with Wrinkled Linen on the bend. Also will the fork be available in 1"? Rely looking forward to the Grand Randonneur ;-)

Anonymous said...

That fork looks all right the way it is. That's not to say that I'd buy it because I find lots of fork rake feels funny.

Murray said...

Thanks very much for doing this. On balance, I prefer low-trail handling, even without front loads, and options are always good.

But speaking of options, please give serious consideration to making a 1" steerer available. Many of your potential low-trail conversion customers are nerds (like me) with older road bikes.

J ustin. said...

1" threaded or threadless with a thick enough steerer to thread. Please?

Unknown said...

Hi Evan,
I was just about to talk to a framebuilder about building a low trail 650b conversion fork for my ES, though it would probably be more expensive than makes sense. Will the 57mm reach model work for the ES with 650b? Rivendell Silver side pulls JUST make it on the rear and 42mm Hetre's fit beautifully, so I would be set if the new forks have right clearance and brake. reach

Christopher Grande said...

+1 on 1" steerer option, too many older bikes out there that could use this.

Anonymous said...

Great news! I've been waiting for production low trail replacement forks for a couple of years now.

I second the low, round "French" bend, even if it is harder and thus probably a bit more expensive to make. To me, the dogleg is an absolute dealbreaker.

I would also really appreciate a 1" option.

Anonymous said...

You'll sell more of these forks if they come in 1":-)

Peter Hamtramck said...

Me too for the 1" option. Preferably threaded or able to be threaded.

Best.
-peter-

Anonymous said...

Straight bladed forks look good on tig welded frames. And they'd be cheaper too.

Anonymous said...

Kill yourself.

Anonymous said...

Another vote for a 1" diameter steered that's able to be threaded. People (myself obviously included) have been clamouring for this kind of fork for years. Velo orange has a great design for one on the Polyvalent, but they refuse to offer the fork on its own.

Please bring the 1" steerer low trail fork to market, as it's a very healthy market!

Pinkshirt said...

Great idea for the forks, and +1 for the 1" threaded option.

But in any case, please, please, PLEASE consider making a 64cm or 66cm Grand Randonneur frame! I am sitting here waiting to buy one.

Anonymous said...

Is that a pump peg I see on the GR v.2? I hope so, as I find mini pumps useless and co2 a waste. And maybe paint it some thing other than (GAG!) beige?

Anonymous said...

Beige is good.

Anonymous said...

I'm always befuddled by these requests for the obsolete, heavy, flexy and corrosion-prone quill stem setup. The bike biz moved on to threadless for many good reasons including the ability to ajust bearing preload in a pinch with nothing more than an allen key.

Also, very few bike mechanics will actually agree to thread a steerer tube. It is not a trivial job to get right.

/Gus

Anonymous said...

I generally agree with Gus, but I think that a 1" option, which one could thread themselves, would be an excellent offering.

Riders with older bikes would have the opportunity to run a lighter, more reliable, more adjustable, cheaper and more durable threadless setups. The reenactors meanwhile, can pay their LBS to thread this fork so they can run their heavy, flexible, rust-prone, less-adjustable quill stem setups. Everyone wins.

Anonymous said...

Agreed on 1" at least threadless option. Having steerer walls thick enough for threading would be cool too. Is the frame beige or a faded pink? Either way I think it looks great.

.s.s. said...

Ditto on the vote for a ~65cm size

Ty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ty said...

@Evan

I noticed the prototype frame doesn't appear to have a low-trail fork, or am I missing something? To my un-trained eye, it looks decidedly medium trail. Camera angle?

In any case, I am very excited to see this frame. You just got added to my short list of Boulder and Pelican.

Any idea of price point? Hint perhaps?

Ty

Bicycle Ryder said...

Please don't listen to the yahoos saying a steerer thick enough to thread. These guys simply don't know what they're talking about. I know of NO ONE - not one builder, not one bike shop - willing to thread a threadless steerer, even if it's thick enough to thread.

doc said...

Any news on this fork? Also, what tire/fender clearances do you plan on? thx.

rpprototype said...

You got some beneficial ideas there. I did a search over a trouble and learnt most peoples will agree in your blog.Looking forward to the next!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was wondering whether the axle to crown length on this fork is going to be identical to the 45mm classic curve fork that you replaced on your bike. 368mm, right? In any case, I'd like to know the length so I can calculate its effects on my frame's angles.

Thanks,

Will

Anonymous said...

Are these forks available yet?

Anonymous said...

Another +1 for a 1" threaded version.

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say THANK YOU, Soma, for making this fork! After searching for months for a fork to convert my vintage Stumpjumper to a do-anything road machine, I came across the Champs Élysées. It's a perfect match! Details here:

https://bikepacking.com/news/readers-rig-matts-stumpjumper/