Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Soul Cycler's Soma Saga Review



"Greetings from Lake Tahoe! I've been home for about a week trying to decompress, and re-orient, after my 2,374-mile bicycle tour across India (From north to south.) There is alot to say, and right now, little time to say it. I've got another article due for the paper up here, I've just got back some sample chapter material returned from my editor for my book.

Anyway, there are several reasons I am contacting you. The first is to report that the Saga passed the test.....with flying colors.
I am not sure what you know about the riding conditions in India, but let me tell you, they are some of the toughest on the planet.
The Soma sucked it all up like a vacuum-cleaner, without so much as a shimmy. That said, as I reported in my last correspondence, there was a small bit of "operator error." Ironically, I'd cycled 2,274 miles across India without incident. This through traffic and roads so brutal, they nearly had me in tears.

Unfortunately, on the second to last day, I was hustling to keep my head above the vehicular current, and was passing a motorcycle, before rear-ending another parked motorcycle at about 18mph.
This with roughly 100 lbs. of gear on the bike. I assure you that any other bike would have folded. I was left with a bent fork. Though I had it bent back out, and proceeded to ride on it for the last 100 miles, it was toast. Needless to say, I am now in need of a new fork." (Disclosure: Rick Gunn was given his frame by Soma .... not for a review per se, though his feedback would be valuable, but for use of some of the awesome photographs he captures on his travels. Be sure read the journal of his jaw-dropping experiences in India – just updated this week – at soulcycler.com)


What's with that sign?




Rick's cohort on the trek relaxing.


Laundry slum


Lush beauty


The famous packed commuter trains
(All photos copyright of Rick Gunn)

No comments: